I passed the scrum.org Professional Scrum Master I exam earlier this year. Here’s how you can too.
- Read this page to understand what the PSM qualifications are.
- Read this page to understand what the PSM 1 qualification is.
- Fee: USD $100 – once purchased, you have a 14-day window in which to take the assessment
- Passing score: 85% (68 out of 80)
- Time limit: 60 minutes
- Number of Questions: 80
- Format: Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer and True/False
- The hardest questions are of the type ‘which of the following five statements are true (tick all that apply)?’ without stating how many ‘all’ might be. These are difficult to plan for. Fortunately, there are not too many of them.
- Study Topics: PSM Subject Areas
- Read the 16 page, definitive scrum guide from front to back: www.scrum.org/Scrum-Guide
- Having read the guide, sit the practice assessment (see link below)
- Search the scrum.org forums for study tips like this one
- Read the Scrum Master Training Manual, a free PDF from Management Plaza, and do the exam at the back.
- Required course: None
- Recommended course: Take this two day course organised by our friends at Testpeople. My course in May was given by André Heijstek in Utrecht.
- Practice Assessment: Take the free Scrum Open every day until you can score 100% every time, even in your sleep.
Every day for a week:
Final top tip: Read “Scrum – A Pocket Guide” by Gunther Verheyen.
Good luck! The exam made me sweat, but it was worth it.
About the author: